professional goals for 2014


Day 4 is all about professional goals. so here they are!
all graphics and fonts from miss tiina! and the wrong date courtesy of me!

be intentional
At my school the current phrase of the month is no down time...sounds good to me, but it's harder than I thought! When there are 24 patients and only one doc in the room, everyone on task on their level is pretty tough. This isn't anything new either. We can throw around terms like "differentiation" all day long, but to me, that doesn't mean everyone is on task. It's on task on their own level. And folks, that's hard! So what can I do about it in my little classroom? We will continue guided reading. We use fountas and pinnell LLI kits with every student. done. Math is pretty good now too. My problem is this little chunk of time right after lunch. I have 70 minutes for "extra reading time". I have used this as catch up time, science time, ss time, extra long recess time, whatever. But I really need to use this for reading instruction! Intentionally. Use the scholastic news magazines I have. Do a close reading more often. I need to make a plan and stick to it!

keep up with data notebook
we all have one. Our admin made us one. It's ain't pretty, but it's there. my problem is that I keep data here, there, and everywhere. Thus it is no where! Just keep it in the ugly binder Rachel!

those tpt goals
I'd love to tell you I will blog every day and post new products every month, but I won't. I wish I could! But I have this pesky job! haha! and all these kids in my house! and that man I married! So one product per quarter is good! Because it gives me time to make it good! and use it-because I don't post a product prior to using it if I can help it! And I have lots of random activities I use that I could put as freebies on the blog! That works for everybody! Need a freebie now? Just hop on over to my fb page!

less down time
I think we have already discussed this one

I'd love to hear about your goals in the professional realm of teaching! Go and link up with us at blog hoppin!




4 comments:

  1. Wow 70 extra minutes in addition to your reading block!? Do you have a writing block? We have 90 minutes for reading and that's it…wish I had more.

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great professional goals, Rachel. 24 patients and 1 doctor - we recently received a Chromebook cart for our 3rd/4th grade hallway and of course our wifi connection is spotty so the kiddos all always need help. I always say to them, there are 22 of you and only 1 of me. I think this is one of the hardest thing for 9/10 year olds to understand!
    Happy New Year!

    Tara
    TeachingwithTWitte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing style! I can hear your voice...lol...not in a creepy way! Couldn't agree more about throwing around terms. And to add on to that...unrealistic expectations. I was sharing with my colleague about how I wished everyone in education could just be HONEST about what can actually be accomplished. For example, our district has an "expectation" that we meet with 3 small groups during our Reading Workshop time. So in 60 minutes, I am supposed to teach a 10-15 minute mini-lesson, meet with 3 small groups, and confer with individual students (don't forget about transition time)? Can't we all just be HONEST and say "we can't do that!" But no...we talk about how we are meeting with groups and trying to get to the goal of 3. We lie so that we don't look like failures. When really we were set up to fail because of the unrealistic expectation. Ugh...okay rant is over! Anyway, I am following you now :)


    Kate :)
    McDee's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! - I saw one of your professional goals was to keep up with your data notebook and I thought I might comment.

    First, I just wanted to say that I'm a teacher in training, and while I have a hard time keeping up with blogs, yours is one of the few that I check on a regular basis - plus I love how you post where the fonts used can be found. I am also an intern at a digital education company (digedu), which is mainly why I'm commenting.

    In order to solve your problem of having data here and there, I think *digedu* would be a great tool for you to use in your classroom. digedu also solve the "24 patients and 1 doc" concern. digedu is a digital learning platform that allows the teacher to customize lessons for each student or a group of students using 1:1 technology. And by using technology - it keeps track of data! If you're interested just comment or email me or check out the company at digedu.co (we have a blog, a facebook, twitter and all that jazz).

    I just was doing my weekly read through and thought I might share some teacher love.

    Ellie

    Ellie in the Classroom

    ReplyDelete

notes to the teacher

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...