9-11 with wee ones a repost and a freebie

I am reposting what I did on September 11 of last year. I loved how the bulletin board turned out and hate I did not snap a picture! I will this year! I also put together a few other activities I will do. Download for free on TpT! I cannot wait to see how this activity turns out!
image
I am linking up with Erica to share 9/11 ideas!

repost
My kiddos had never even heard about the tragedy and I teetered on not even getting in to it for fear they’d have nightmares, but it is a huge part of our national history and completely changed how our country operates. I am SOOOOO glad I did. I have not had a better day yet with these dears. I started by just asking for a show of hands who had ever heard the term “9-11” and when only 1 kid had, I read a news article aloud. It really led to a wonderful discussion. I told them exactly where I was, what I was doing, how there was nothing televised but NYC for at least a week, and how American flags flew everywhere and everyone had a flag magnet on their car. I felt so proud to be an American. Then, my friend across the hall brought her kids over, told them her story, and we all watched the Brain Pop video. {I love those things…}. We also checked out the interactive timeline and the time lapse video of the memorial going up. You must use this site, it is ah-maz-ing
Bookmark these for next year!
http://www.911memorial.org/ - great lessons and videos, etc.
http://www.brainpop.com/socialstudies/ushistory/september11th/ - free Brain Pop video
Natalie and Rachelle with some good resources - http://whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com/
Next we made a mosaic of the Twin Towers and added the questions from What the Teacher Wants blog to it. It really turned out beautiful and created a wonderful atmosphere of teamwork in my room {really the first I’ve seen of it}. Like I said, I am so glad I shared this time with them…Red heart
911
We read some wonderful books too: 


link up and share some wonderful things you do.










2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this Rachel! I'm working on my plans right now for Tuesday and I was wondering how to introduce this topic to kiddos who haven't ever heard of 9/11. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

notes to the teacher

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...